Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Teach for America and other things

I have recently been accepted to the Teach for America program for the 2009-20011 school years in the general NYC area. I am not sure where they will place me yet (I'm hoping the lower east side) but it will most likely be somewhere in east Brooklyn. I will be teaching secondary English/ Language Arts- that's anywhere from grades 7-12. I am ecstatic to be a part of TFA's mission to close the achievement gap by placing well qualified people into high need schools, and raise the often far-below grade level achievement of these inner city students. The mission is great, the salary ad benefits are great, and they also pay for grad school. How I am supposed to be a first year teacher and attend grad school is still a mystery to me, but is all part of the huge life journey I'm soon to embark on! If I teach 12th graders, they're never to know that I am only 2-3 years older then them!

And still, before I start teaching, my life will be inevitably changing... all for the better! Very soon, at the beginning of February, David and I are going to take a nice lengthy trip to London. Since it is our future plan to move there after my two year teaching commitment to get my PhD, I am excited to view the culture and architecture of my future home! There will be plenty of photos of that as soon as we return, no doubt. In April, David and I will be saying our vows at the courthouse in the presence of Mom and Dad. we never thought we would ever get married, but since it is so low-key and low-maintenance, we are looking forward to having a day full of love and cherishing! I also have an amazing gold dress with a leopard print head piece thing. Oh yeah!

In June i'll have to attend a 5 week boot camp in Queens so I can train to be a teacher. I have to stay in dorms and the whole bit! I'll be co-teaching a summer school program and attending courses on the St. John's campus. So, needless to say, I will be keeping myself busy in the next months/years to come. Just thought i'd share a bit.

1 comment:

Aberdeen said...

:) I'm so happy for you! You will bring a fresh edge to TFA...